[RTTY] FLDigi vs MMTTY?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jun 18 16:26:44 PDT 2010

 > If you don't want to build your own tone decoder, one of the
 > commercial products that implements it is the microHAM USB Interface
 > III.

microHAM will also implement tone decoder support for "p-FSK" in
a product to replace DigiKeyer that will be announced next weekend
in F'hafen.

 > A simple tone decoder can then turn the keyed audio tone into a
 > "hard" FSK keying line.  cocoaModem has the same function called the
 > on-off keying (OOK) option in the RTTY interface.

The same hardware can also convert "audio only" CW to "hard keyed"
output that will allow CW software that only produces sidetone
to be used with the CW mode of most transceivers.

 > Remember that you will still need to also supply the PTT keying
 > line.

If you're building your own tone decoder it is relatively easy to
add a second output (or a second detector) which includes a "delay
on release" (or "hang").  A delay of 1/4 to 1/2 second will hold PTT
closed during the spaces (FSK line open in most transceivers) in
FSK or during letter/word spaces in CW.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.