[RTTY] Motherboard Recommendation

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 30 21:47:24 PDT 2010

On 6/30/2010 3:51 PM, w4ox wrote:

> Having suffered a recent lightning strike, most of the ports on my radio computer no longer function.
>
> As such, does anyone have a recommendation for a good motherboard with perhaps one serial port onboard.  Or is that asking too much these days?
>
> Please let me know directly.
>
> Thanks&  73, Doug W4OX

I'm going to go against the crowd on this one.  Maybe it would be a good
time to ditch the serial port and get a "modern" USB interface like the
microHAM or West Mountain Radio units.  Sure, USB 3.0 is coming down the
line, and eventually USB will be replaced by another bus.  I just don't
see the point of holding on to something that was common over 20 years
ago.  It's like going into Best Buy and asking for a stereo that still
has a turntable and cassette player.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us