[RTTY] DXCC

WS7I ws7ik7tj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 12:01:11 PDT 2011

Seems that nothing is ever new under the sun.  Long ago in the world of the
ARRL and RTTY there was only the basic certificate. They counted the first
100 and issued you one.  That's why for many years 1977-88 or longer various
other RTTY awards existed.

The *RTTY Journal *had its own DXCC, WAC, and even BARTG had some nifty
awards down to 25 countries as I recall.

I recall taking over the *RTTY Journal* awards program in late 1987.  We
offered endorsements.  I know I received the Journal One Hundred countries
on RTTY #115 in October of 1987.  Also the ARRL #157 about that time.  WAZ
was also offered.

But it took a lot of work to get RTTY at the ARRL upgraded to full
status and the first station to get on the Honor Roll never even received
credit for it.  Won't go into the details but that famous station pretty
much was responsible for a lot of DXpeditions.  He left chasing DX not too
long after that.

Really don't see what all the fuss is about on changing a name from RTTY to
Digital.  We have always been an inclusive group as opposed to an exclusive
group.  RTTY contests allowed all sorts of modes.  In fact tho its
participation is down quite a bit we have PSK31 in the ARRL RTTY Roundup.

Just look at some of these old titles.  "Fifteen years of fun with the
Digital mode" , *"*A Regional Look at a Digital Contest", "One of the
Premier Digital Contests".

Can't say that changing the name from RTTY to Digital on a piece of
wallpaper makes all that much difference to me.  As many have expressed
there are a number of modes that could make up the total.  I'm still working
on just getting to the Honor Roll.  I don't think I will care if its has
Digital Honor Roll or RTTY Honor Roll.

It's a digital world, you either chase DX on RTTY or you don't.