[RTTY] ST0R RTTY Statistics

Doug Hall k4dsp.doug at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:21:53 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

> While this is encouraging, it is still well short of approximately
> 25% of QSOs that I would expect for an expedition that treated RTTY
> as an equal to CW and Phone modes.

You have probably spent more time on the other end of a DX pileup than
I have, and I've never operated from a location like ST0R. But in my
limited experience operating from DX locations I have never been able
to achieve anywhere near the RTTY QSO rates that I could on CW or SSB,
and RTTY is the least work of all three modes, being largely point and
click. And this wasn't for lack of stations to work, either. So to me
the numbers from ST0R look very realistic and RTTY-friendly, and
certainly show much more than "lip service."

Out of curiosity what figures or statistics did you use to arrive at
your 25% expectation?

Doug K4DSP