[RTTY] Suggestions for RTTY RU

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 3 11:03:40 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a matter of wasted time. Every character or space takes 167
> milliseconds, so DE(space) requires .5 seconds. If you work 1000
> stations during the contest, that wastes 500 seconds. If you call CQ
> 2000 times during the contest that wastes another 1000 seconds. Put them
> together and you have wasted 1500 seconds, or 25 minutes.

I can think of two reasons why sending DE can help (regardless of the
WriteLog behavior).  Assume that SO2R is not an issue at this point:

1.  By transmitting more (i.e. sending DE rather than not), you're
increasing the duty cycle of your transmissions (higher % of key-down
time).  This increases the chance that someone tuning by will hear a
signal and stop to find out who it is.

2.  RTTY Skimmer can't be far off.  I believe the software looks for a
DE preceding the callsign of the transmitting station, otherwise that
station won't be spotted.  So send DE if you want to be found.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us