[RTTY] Suggestions for RTTY RU

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 11:52:39 PST 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:03:40 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>1.  By transmitting more (i.e. sending DE rather than not), you're
>increasing the duty cycle of your transmissions (higher % of key-down
>time).  This increases the chance that someone tuning by will hear a
>signal and stop to find out who it is.

REPLY:

Good point, but I believe the critical thing here is not how long the
transmission is but rather how long the listening period is. I believe
the listening period between CQs should be fairly short for just the
reason you state.

This is one of those things one can not really prove, IMO. It's more of
an instinctive feel for how long is long enough or too short.

73, Bill W6WRT