[RTTY] Sneak Preview of fldigi-3.21 (Signal Browser for RTTY)

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Wed Jan 5 14:52:39 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Richard Ferch wrote:

> The downside of using any of these for signal browsing is that you have
> to be using a wide filter to receive multiple signals.

I concur.

While they are useful for PSK31, the use of multi-signal capture (or call sign Skimmers) is not so useful for RTTY unless you are using an SDR (or something like an LP-PAN).  I have watched many RTTY contests inside a 2.4 kHz roofing filter and there simply are too few stations in a 2.4 kHz passband to make it worthwhile.  People tend to stay 500 Hz away from one another in an RTTY contest.

However, on a good day you can fit two dozen PSK31 stations in the same 2.4 kHz (I have seen all 21 slots of cocoaModem's PSK TableView filled).  That makes it much more interesting,  but I have also seen PSK31 pileups that are wider than that, even on 30m :-).

73
Chen, W7AY