[RTTY] CQ or QRZ

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 11:21:53 PST 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:39:22 -0600, Cheryl Whitlock <cherwhit at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I use QRZ at the end of the exchange with a station to ask if there are any
>other stations on frequency that want to call me.
>
>I use the CQ macro if no one comes back and I have to put out another
>general call.

REPLY:

Either one will work but Claude is correct in that QRZ? is supposed to
be used when you hear a station calling but have not yet got his call.
CQ is a request for anyone to call you.

Another reason to use CQ instead is that it is shorter. Sending QRZ?
takes exactly .5 seconds longer since there are two more characters plus
a FIGS shift. Over the course of a contest, those .5 seconds add up.

But if you really prefer QRZ? it's ok, just inefficient.

73, Bill W6WRT