[RTTY] Secret

rick darwicki n6pe at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 08:25:51 PST 2011

Stations sending 559 in contests are usually "check log only" operators. These logs are used by the contest sponsors to eliminate logs with errors. The results never appear and you are told the log was lost or misplaced. If you have more than three miscopied RST entries you are automatically eliminated from the following year's contest.

The checkers also time your macros and apply secret deductions to your score if it appears you have an unfair advantage by sending shorter exchanges.

Other operators monitor running only stations and suggest percent deductions to total scores if the station was confusing people with his QRZ vs CQ macro. Stations sending "thanks for the contact and good luck in the contest" are be awarded extra points.

There are plans to limit contest software to only "approved" versions. The approved software will automatically delete a contact if you ask the sending station for a repeat twice in a row and then send a 599.

Rick, N6PE
April 1, 2011