[RTTY] BARTG COMMENTS

Jim Rhodes jimk0xu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:12:05 PST 2011

I guess like other shortcuts, you pays your money and takes your chances. If
you are willing to take the chance that you will be printed & accepted, go
for it. I logged a few, but I didn't log a few I wasn't sure of. I will let
them take the hit instead of me.

Jim K0XU
Sent from my Droid X
On Jan 24, 2011 6:45 PM, "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Interesting thread but I have to disagree.  There's absolutely nothing
wrong with sending only the serial number in the BARTG RTTY
> Sprint when S&P AND you see your callsign correctly when the run station
comes back to you with his report.

> This contest is called a "SPRINT" and thus probably one of the reasons the
exchange does NOT include RST, only serial number.  A
> "SPRINT" to me is a contest where rate is KING and the objective is to
work as many stations as possible in a short amount of time
> (24 hours). When I'm S&P and I CLEARLY see my CALLSIGN when the run
station comes back to me, I KNOW the report is for me.  So when
> I reply with "CR/LF120 120 120 " (notice the space at the end of the
message), the other station KNOWS it's me sending him the
> exchange UNLESS another station also sends an exchange out of turn and
this happens so rarely I only mention it because it could
> happen.  Now, if there is ANY doubt the run station does not have my call
correct or if my call takes a hit and I don't see it
> PERFECTLY then I will send "CR/LF 120 120 120 AA5AU ".  As fact, a lot of
times when I don't see my call correctly, I will send:

> "CR/LFAA5AU AA5AU CR/LF120 120 120 AA5AU "
>
> OR, if I am pretty sure my call did NOT take a hit and the run station
clearly has it wrong, I will call again:

> "CR/LFAA5AU AA5AU AA5AU "
>
> If the run station STILL does not have my call correctly when he sends the
report again, then I will send:

> "CR/LFMY CALL IS AA5AU AA5AU QSL? " and wait for them to correct it before
sending my report.

> I know this is RTTY and not CW or SSB.  But on the other modes, when a
station is S&P, it is proper to send only the exchange and no
> callsigns.  I see no reason why RTTY should be different than CW or SSB
when it comes to sending the S&P exchange.  I've operated a
> few CW contests and you can always tell the RTTY ops doing CW contests
because they put callsigns in their S&P exchange.  I guess
> it's out of habit.
>
> Again, it doesn't matter to me what your exchange is as long as I get in
your log and you get in mine.

> 73, Don AA5AU
> http://www.aa5au.com
> http://www.rttycontesting.com

Behalf Of Dick White
> Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 12:11 PM
> To: RTTY Contesting
> Subject: [RTTY] BARTG COMMENTS
>
> I had some fun in the BARTG SPRINT> Worked 186 Q's and a score of 49,104
points.

> There were two posts about the BARTG exchange that I disagree with. Both
operators stated all they need from a call was the serial
> number. They did not want the call sign. I sent NR NR NR KS0M as my
exchange in S&P. Here is one reason why sending only the serial
> number can be a problem. The band was crowded, I answered a call, when he
replied all I got was "KS0" and callers on each side of
> him blasted his reply and I could not copy. I sent "AGN AGN". Due to the
QRM I never got his exchange. I use a 250 HZ filter in
> contests and the two close by calls were on the edge of my band pass. I
was going to call him again but then I copied him sending
> "TU KS0M QRZ BARTG" He evidently copied the exchange of one of the other
close by station who sent a serial number only. I did not
> send an exchange. Had the one sending a number only exchange added hic
call, the op I was trying to work would have realized it was
> not from me. As a result, he is not in my log, I lost a contact and he
will lose a contact because and maybe be penalized because he
> is not in my log. We both wasted out time.
> You can keep you exchange too short. I want to make sure in an exchange
that we both know who we are working.