[RTTY] Self spotting question

Dick Kriss aa5vu at att.net
Wed Jul 13 09:34:23 PDT 2011

DRAFT
For years I was in the FSK camp but with the advent of sound card technology I changed
over to AFSK and have no intention of ever going back to FSK. With the exception of
heavy duty rtty contesters I believe the majority of the digital users now use AFSk.

I have noticed spot all over the place probably due to operator error. Fldigi does
a good job of displaying and logging the QSO frequency and it is pretty close for
all modes but RTTY. For RTTY I think the displayed QSO frequency is the dial freq
less the sweet spot offset minus 1/2 of shift or something like that. I do not think
it displays what FSK users call the Mark

Regarding self spotting I wish more people would self spot when they are listing
on 50.300 MHz for RTTY signals.  Posting to reflectors is nice but some of us get
digests so the delayed delivery in not good.

Dick AA5VU