[RTTY] Self spotting outside of a contest?

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 12:48:20 PDT 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:59:04 -0500, "jim" <wb5aaa at windstream.net> wrote:

>I have done the same on 10m RTTY   which is a lot like 160m RTTY
>Not very many  takers .... call CQ for  hour with no Q's   then make a post
>And here comes 2 or 3 .....
>
>But every time  I do  a SELF SPOT   I get  some  e-mail  saying it is not
>right

REPLY:

Same here - many CQs with no answeres, then a self spot and 2 or 3 answers
immediately. It seems to me like a perfectly valid use of telnet. What
difference does it make if I self spot or someone else spots me?

I had stopped self spotting for a while, but I'm going to start it up again but
only on 160 or 6 meters and only RTTY. If someone emails me to say it's not
right, I will politely ask them to explain why. I bet they can't, other than it
annoys them for some vague reason they can't explain.

73, Bill W6WRT