[RTTY] Booooo

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Wed Jul 20 12:17:31 PDT 2011

On Jul 20, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Michael Haack wrote:

> And just wondering, If your going to lump ALL Digital modes
> together...Does that mean the CW as well..;O)

All joking aside, IMHO, no.  Unless you are exclusively using a software modem to decode the Morse encoding (in which case, CW might as well be a digital mode).

Different skill sets involved (again IMHO).

It is probably more useful to classify modes by how they are treated by the human, instead of by the mechanism in which they are modulated into the RF spectrum.

Pretty much everything that we subjectively consider to be "digital modes" output glyphs for the operator to read.  Keyword is "read."

Considered this way, Hellschreiber is correctly considered to be a digital mode, and not as CW (even though Feld Hell uses A1A or J2A modulation modes) or as facsimile (even though it "paints" a raster to the output medium).

73
Chen, W7AY