[RTTY] USB-Serial

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Jun 13 09:29:14 PDT 2011

Hello Pete,

The most effective solution is to use a software driver called EXTFSK.
This removes the need to find an "old" USB/Serial converter to run FSK
at 45 baud. Using this software driver with MMTTY allows just about any
modern USB/Serial device to work. There is an issue though, to ensure
the USB/Serial converter works it's best to find a device based upon the
FTDI chip set (as opposed to the Prolific chip set).

Here's a link to the FTDI site: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm

Make certain the converter you purchase says it uses the FTDI chipset
and driver. The Prolific chipset "might" work, but it's a crap shoot,
depending upon its age and software driver.

So there's two pieces to the puzzle... Using the EXTFSK software driver
with MMTTY and using an FTDI based converter for the hardware connection.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN