[RTTY] USB-Serial

Jim Rhodes jimk0xu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 09:40:57 PDT 2011

The EdgePort multiport adapters that I use do a fine job on baudot.
No EXTFSK needed. Check ebay for 4 and 8 port models.
Jim K0XU
Sent from my Droid X
On Jun 13, 2011 11:29 AM, "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc at citlink.net> wrote:
> Hello Pete,
>
> The most effective solution is to use a software driver called EXTFSK.
> This removes the need to find an "old" USB/Serial converter to run FSK
> at 45 baud. Using this software driver with MMTTY allows just about any
> modern USB/Serial device to work. There is an issue though, to ensure
> the USB/Serial converter works it's best to find a device based upon the
> FTDI chip set (as opposed to the Prolific chip set).
>
> Here's a link to the FTDI site: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
>
> Make certain the converter you purchase says it uses the FTDI chipset
> and driver. The Prolific chipset "might" work, but it's a crap shoot,
> depending upon its age and software driver.
>
> So there's two pieces to the puzzle... Using the EXTFSK software driver
> with MMTTY and using an FTDI based converter for the hardware connection.
>
> 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

> On 6/13/2011 11:14 AM, peter.jackson17 at ntlworld.com wrote:
>> Hi I know this has been on the reflector many times but the old memory
cells are getting past their sell by date. What's the model of the usb to
serial converter that works with rtty. I know the cheapo ones don't like the
slow baud rate and 5 data bits.
>> My on board graphics failed at the weekend during the contest on my main
computer so it would be a good idea if I have a backup system using my
laptop.