[RTTY] USB-Serial

Steve Haines stevezp9eh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 05:46:32 PDT 2011

>> Hello Pete,
>>
>> The most effective solution is to use a software driver called EXTFSK.
>> This removes the need to find an "old" USB/Serial converter to run FSK
>> at 45 baud. Using this software driver with MMTTY allows just about any
>> modern USB/Serial device to work. There is an issue though, to ensure
>> the USB/Serial converter works it's best to find a device based upon the
>> FTDI chip set (as opposed to the Prolific chip set).
>>
>> Here's a link to the FTDI site: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
>>
>> Make certain the converter you purchase says it uses the FTDI chipset
>> and driver. The Prolific chipset "might" work, but it's a crap shoot,
>> depending upon its age and software driver.
>>
>> So there's two pieces to the puzzle... Using the EXTFSK software driver
>> with MMTTY and using an FTDI based converter for the hardware connection.
>>
>> 73 de Bob - K?RC in MN

Sometimes the Prolific chip set will work if you allow your Windows
installation to search the internet for the needed driver. Here in
Paraguay I could only find a converter cable with the Prolific chips.
None of the supplied drivers worked, but as a last report I "allowed" or
"asked" the Windows bit of software that was trying to do the
installation to search for the best driver on the internet. After a
considerable wait, it found and installed a driver that didn't seem to
be uniquely for this chip set, but it worked. If you already have an
adapter with the Prolific set, it might be worth a try.

73 de Steve ZP9EH