[RTTY] HAL ST8000...up for bid.

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 18:28:45 PDT 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:27:26 -0500, Michael Haack <mikehaack at aol.com>
wrote:

>Anybody up for a bargain on a HAL ST8000.
>I would, but I already have one.

REPLY:

Just a word of caution to a possible bidder:  The ST8000 is a great TNC
and gives about the best performance possible for ANY modem - hardware
or software - but keeping it running can be a problem. The CRT is all
but unobatinable and if you can find one it's price will no doubt take
your breath away. Also, the main board has lots of little DIP switches
which are prone to become erratic. Owning one will likely be a labor of
love. I have one sitting out in the shed gathering dust right now
because I finally gave up trying to keep it running.

MMTTY is about 99% as good and is free. And free of maintenance issues
too.  :-)

Buyer beware.

73, Bill W6WRT