[RTTY] NEW! The 10-Meter RTTY Contest

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Thu May 26 14:40:35 PDT 2011

Kermit, AB1J, wrote:
> This is a nice idea but after proof of concept (i.e., a few
> successful runs  of the contest) you should try to get the
> ARRL to incorporate it into their 10M  contest.  I have
> always thought the 10M contest could use the addition of
> RTTY as a shot in the arm to encourage activity, especially
> during the down  years, which seem to be all the time now.

Good point, although there will undoubtedly be different opinions on this.
First of all, I do not think RTTY should be added to the Mixed category.
The current Mixed category with CW and SSB works well, but a third mode
would be too many modes to juggle for the serious Mixed category
participant.

I also think adding a fourth category, RTTY, to the CW/SSB/Mixed categories
is a problem.  I love the ARRL 10-Meter Contest and would hate to choose
between CW and RTTY.  I would probably do CW if forced.   There are others
who like SSB and RTTY and would have to choose.  As a result, there will be
lower activity in each of the modes as the total participation is dispersed
over three modes rather than just two or one.

There are a few three mode contests and some people love them.  The majority
of participants in most contests are casual or only moderately serious.  I
doubt that any serious competitors would want to do all three modes.

As you note, though, let's try this new 10-Meter RTTY Contest standalone for
a few times and see how it goes.  Then, it will be apparent how it should
evolve.

Ed - W0YK