[RTTY] WAE & QTC's

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Nov 7 11:55:52 PST 2011

Ken and the group,

WAEDC is great fun, and you probably will find a new one there, or at the
very least some new band-slots.

Firstly, take a look at http://www.guernsey.net/~pcooper/waedc.html where
you will find some help on using N1MM with QTC's.
However, I should say that I do not use N1MM (I use Writelog), so I cannot
vouch for the accuracy of the info there.

Now to answer your questions:

Are QTC's generally sent with *each* QSO?
++++++Only for a contact with another continent, and then only when
conditions allow it. There is no point trying to work me on 80m and
exchanging QTC's. Wait till 20m is open, and do it there.
The way the higher bands have been lately, we could probably do it happily
on 10m.
Note that you can only exchange QTC's with any given station ONCE. We can't
exchange QTC's on each band, only one.

Will I be expected to send QTC's with each QSO?
++++++Expect to get asked for QTC's. This usually occurs either with the
exchange, or just after.
For example, if I am CQ'ing, and you answer me, I will send TU 599 001 001
ANY QTC FOR ME?
You can then send RRR 599 002 002 PLS SEND QTC. (Maybe using two separate
macro's).

Should I expect to receive QTC's with each QSO?
++++++Some people find it easier to send than to receive, but PLEASE make
sure you know how to send any specific line requested.
For example, if you send me 10 QTC's, I may get all but #8. In that case,
when you have finished sending, I will send Number 8 AGN PLS.
Make sure you know how to send #8, and ONLY '8, not the whole lot again.
Also, send it twice, as it is more likely to get through.
If I get more than a few messed up, I may ask ALL AGN PLS.
When I have them all OK, I will send RRR TU. Now YOU must "log" them as well
as me.

If I'm understanding this right, the QSO's could be long by contest
standards.
++++++Yes, it can, and it can be a pain when you are in S&P mode, only to
find some nice DX, and then see them start to send QTC's! But, they will
still be there in a few minutes, so go work someone else, and come back.

Some folk call CQ with the added bit saying they have QTC's.

You CAN work WAEDC without QTC's, but it will greatly affect your score.
Each QTC is another point, so a batch of 10 QTC's is worth TEN points in
addition to the contact itself.

What I do is to start on a band where I am not going to make DX (ie another
continent) contacts, and build up a stock of contacts for later on when the
bands open up a bit more. I will hope to have a few hundred in the log by
this time, so I potentially have 20 QTC batches available to send.

Also, note that if you have just worked the 10th call in your log, you
cannot send that QSO as a QTC to the person you are working. N1MM (and
Writelog) will work this out, and only allow you to send 9.

The other important bit is the batch number of the QTC's you receive.
You MUST log this as well. It is usually of the format 001/10.

If you use MMTTY as the RTTY interface with N1MM, then start MMTTY
beforehand, and set it up to log all screen text. Got to File, then SCREEN
TEXT TO FILE.
This way, if you check your log after the contest and realise you missed
some QTC data, it will be in the log file. I always have this set, as it is
frequently very useful.

To give you an idea of the way QTC's help your score....
Imagine you have made 10 contacts for 10 points. Your score would be 10 X 10
= 100.
Now imagine you have worked the same contacts, but had 10 QTC's from each.
Now your score is (10+10) X 10 = 200.

So, check out my web page on the contest, and I hope that

I'll be there, and with QTC's, and more than happy to exchange them with
you, either way.
If it takes time, that's fine by me, and don't worry if you mess it up!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111107-0, 07/11/2011
Tested on: 07/11/2011 19:55:52