[RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Apr 4 10:02:15 PDT 2012

 >> 1. Most important, place the computer and radio physically
 >> close to each other and run a short, heavy wire between the
 >> two chassis.

   - snip -

 >> 2. The AC power plug for the computer and the one for the
 >> radio should be plugged into the same AC outlet. This
 >> connects the "third wire" of the two power supplies together
 >> at the AC source.

The  problem with this is they *cause* a different kind of problem -
one that acts and sounds like RFI.  By providing a DC return between
the radio chassis and ground *through* the computer (or any other
device that creates audio designed to modulate the transmitter) some
portion of the transceiver power supply return current can (and will
- depending on the relative resistance/impedance) flow through the
computer chassis.  This will appear *in series* with the audio from
the computer and will modulate the input audio based on the peak
power supply current.

In addition, if the AC "third wire" is not properly bonded to the
RF ground (shield of any/all coaxial cables entering the shack),
common mode RF can be driven through the chassis of the computer to
the AC "third wire" *also* causing "RFI".  Full "galvanic isolation"
(transformer coupling for audio, optoisolators for data/control, and
separate power supplies) between computer and transceiver not only
eliminate "ground loop" hum but both types of "RFI."  Although the RFI
can be addressed by proper grounding, the use of appropriate common
mode chokes on all antenna cables and good power supply management
(use of *properly sized* power cables and low resistance connectors,
etc,) doing so is sometimes difficult in second story shacks and shacks
located a significant distance from the building power/utility entry
point.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV