[RTTY] 17M RTTY RFI Eliminated

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 4 20:10:05 PDT 2012

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. There were a BUNCH! Thank you!

I decided to spend some time to try to track this thing down tonight. I already had the keyboard cord wrapped around a ferrite rod
and the mouse line wrapped around a toroid. For grins I disconnected them, one at a time, so I could control my transmitter with
whatever was left connected and that wasn't the problem.

I decided to look at everything else that was connected to the PC. I found the problem to be the first COM port on my el cheapo
4-port PCI serial card. If anything is connected to this port (designated as COM2), the problem appears.

I bought this 4-port COM board for cheap off eBay after lightning took out two of the four ports on my Byterunner board in the
summer of 2010. I had decided not to spend the extra money for another Byterunner. This board, like my previous Byterunner has a
dongle for bringing out the 4 ports so it can sit in a single PCI slot. I found the problem initially when I moved my FSK interface
for the PRO III to COM 1 (onboard serial port) and disconnected the dongle from the 4-port card.

Everything works fine with nothing connected to the first port on this board. When I have more time I will see if a toroid will fix
the problem on this port. I presently don't need this port because I had one spare anyway.

I guess you get what you pay for. I don't run high power on 17 meter RTTY often, but if BS7 (LAST ONE I NEED ON RTTY) shows up on
17M RTTY ever in the future, I won't have a problem!

Thanks again everyone!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com