[RTTY] [NCCC-blue] NCCC RY-Sprint K6YL LP

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at arrl.net
Sun Apr 15 07:17:24 PDT 2012

> The question is about a CQ but the final answer is nothing
>to do with a CQ.  So basically I am saying I am confused by
>these
>contest responses and as such it is one reason why I do not
>participate.
>
>What does this mean >>>  W6SX 26 JO CA K6YL {space}

In the Sprints, the station who is going to "inherit" the
frequency puts their call sign at the end of the exchange.  If
you are the "vacating" station, you bury your call sign in the
middle of the exchange.  Someone tuning across the frequency,
hearing a call sign followed by silence, knows that essentially
that station has just called CQ.  Here's a full exchange:

CQ CQ NA K6LL
K7ABC
K7ABC K6LL 12 DAVE AZ
K6LL 32 JACKI AZ K7ABC
TU

If you tuned in early enough to hear "K7ABC K6LL," you can tell
that K7ABC is going to inherit.  When you hear two call signs
together, you know that the first call will inherit.  If you
tuned in right at the end, hearing K7ABC at the very end of an
exchange, you know that she has just essentially called CQ.
Delay pouncing for one second while K6LL says "TU."

The whole process is a little strange at first, but after you get
the hang of it, it works quite well.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona