[RTTY] USB Dongle Sound Cards

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:14:04 EST 2012

I've played with several USB sound cards of all shapes, sizes, and prices.

They all play well with MMTTY and by extension Writelog, if you are just
using a single audio stream ("mono").

However, I have had relatively poor luck with specific sound cards when I
want to utilize the separate left and right channels to decode independent
receivers - even though the sound card is billed as a stereo card having
stereo inputs.

It seems as if there is a subset of cards which MMTTY is able to recognize
and utilize the Left and Right as independent channels, while the rest of
them it doesn't - they act like mono cards.

I've been through countless control panels and sound card control apps,
trying both line in and mic, looking for the secret sauce to get MMTTY to
see separate channels, and I've only gotten a couple of them to actually
behave that way.

- jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com