[RTTY] USB Dongle Sound Cards

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Dec 11 22:26:52 EST 2012

> I've been through countless control panels and sound card control
> apps, trying both line in and mic, looking for the secret sauce to
> get MMTTY to see separate channels, and I've only gotten a couple of
> them to actually behave that way.

Jeff, there is no "secret sauce" ... you need to look at the specs of
the "dongle" if the manufacturer/vendor supplies them.  Some are built
using a single chip USB CODEC designed for headset operation - those
have a mono (mic) input and will often identify the input as "headset
mic" in Windows 7.  Others are built using a stereo input version of
the USB chip and will typically not include the preamp (stereo line
inputs).

The quickest way to tell if a given dongle will support stereo receive
is to see if the "Default Format" (Windows 7 Sound Control Panel -
Recording Devices / Advanced tab) can be set for two channels.  If the
particular dongle displays only single channel options, you have a
headset adapter.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV