[RTTY] WPX funnies from K6LL

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Feb 15 11:05:59 PST 2012

Dave and the group,

Hmmmmm Interesting to see that you guys get the same hassles we see this
side of the pond!

Just a few comments on your thoughts:
The guy who calls so far off frequency that you think it is QRM.
>> Yes, there are a good many!

The guy whose FSK is not working and sends a solid carrier.
>> Seen more than a few times in WPX!

This guy, K9BAD (e.g.)
me: CQ WPX KZ7X
him: KZ7X DE K9BAD 599 034
me: K9BAD 599 2145
him: TU CQ WPX K9BAD
me: THIS IS MY FREQUENCY CQ WPX KZ7X
>> Oh yes! I get this often, and had it happen at least twice in WPX.

What's with the guys in Cuba?  It's great to see all the activity, but 80%
of them don't have a clue.  They need a mentor down there.
>> Not seen here, but some EU stations need some mentoring too.

The guys who do an automatic QRZ lookup and insert a name into the exchange,
such as:
KZ7X TU SOUTHWEST 599 047
>> I use a "friend file" with Writelog. I know it isn't always popular, but
if you receive your call as K6LK and then see TU DAVE, it does give you a
bit of confidence that I meant you, and not someone else.
Also, my "friend file" is tailored to me, and is built from contacts I have
made.

The guys who inject so many dots, linefeeds, and extraneous BS that it looks
like they are intentionally trying to slow down the entire contest.
>> I suspect that the leading dots come from MixW. I see it all the time
when not contesting, and it is always users that say they are running MixW.

The guys who send my call three times, and their call once, sometimes with
no trailing space:
KZ7X KZ7X KZ7X DE K9BAD#(4R&
>> This is usually from those guys running MMTTY, as that is the "default"
'call him' macro.

The guy who gives you number 005, and then comes back in an hour and dupes
you with number 012.
>> An hour? How about 4 minutes later!

The guys who work the entire contest sending on the keyboard (slowly)
>> I had a few of these, and one told me he was sending RTTY from his CW key
on a K3.

The loud guy who can't copy anybody, and keeps sending CQ's
>> I saw a few spots for BA7IO saying he was deaf, but on 10m, he was a huge
signal with me, and he got me 1st call.

The guys who decide, "We don't need no stinkin' 599, I'll send only the
serial number."
>> In WPX, I would say almost 40% did NOT send an RST, yet in the BARTG
Sprint (where no RST is wanted) most stations WERE sending an RST. Go
figure!

And how about those that come back with GU0SUP GU0SUP DE XX1XX XX1XX XX1XX
TU YOUR RSQ IS 599 MY NAME IS BRAD AND MY QTH IS ....... etc etc??

Those guys that have worked you once already, but (in WPX where mults only
count once) they join in a pile-up to call you on another band. Why? And I
mean contest stations, not DX chasers who just want GU on as many bands as
possible - I can live with that.

SO2R ops who are very slow in responding to callers, and even slower to
acknowledge the exchange!
In WPX, one took a whole 5 seconds to reply to a call, and after I had sent
him my exchange, it took 9 seconds to get a TU from him.

Those stations that can clearly see you are in a QSO, but still call over
the exchange to get you and even then don't QRX when asked while you try and
get a repeat report.

Despite the above, I still love RTTY contesting!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 120215-0, 15/02/2012
Tested on: 15/02/2012 19:05:59