[RTTY] Dropped last character in transmission during RTTY Roundup

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 11 08:26:19 PST 2012

I didn't notice this at all, but there could be at least one explanation for some of this.

SO2R operators will purposely cut off their transmission in order to transmit on the other radio.  I do this constantly.  If you watch me CQ, you might find me dropping my signal at any time during the message because I don't believe it making anyone wait on the other radio for my report.  Well, someone always has to wait a second or two if there are QSOs occurring on both radios at the same time, but I try to keep the delay at a bare minimum.  RTTY SO2R is at an all-time high right now.

What I did see was people not putting a space at the end of your messages so someone would send CQ and I couldn't get their callsign:

CQ RU W1XYZRUVMXOONFEONB

So I didn't know if it was W1XY or W1XYZ if they weren't in the SCP file.  Overall, I thought everyone was pretty good and the quality of operators is at an all-time high. Probably saw a lot of other stuff too but don't remember them.

73, Don AA5AU