[RTTY] Dropped last character in transmission during RTTY

Mike Tindor / AA8IA aa8ia at aa8ia.org
Wed Jan 11 11:37:09 PST 2012

David,

I didn't play in this test as much as I would have liked, but I was on
during many times when you got the jump on me for a contact :)    Never
once did I hear you direct, unfortunately, but I definitely knew you were
on :)

At any rate, I did run across one station that was doing this.   I knew his
call, even though the last character was dropped, and I was able to get his
serial # because he sent it twice.    But he was a KH station and I knew he
would be popular and would be having a lot of trouble with people getting
his callsign wrong if somebody didn't alert him of the problem.

I worked him and sent "your dropping characters" -- He asked what
characters were being dropped.   I told him at the end of his TU macro and
at the end of his Exchange macro.   He went QRX for 30 seconds, came back
and thanked me, and everything was grand at that point.   I presume he just
added a space afterwards or a CR.

But it was simple enough to let him know, and he fixed it immediately.

I also didn't get the impression that it was an issue of an amp dropping
out prematurely.   This op was plenty strong so that I would have still
copied him just fine LP had he been using an amp.

Unlike Jim [W5IFP], I like to work everyone -- no matter if they are having
problems or not.   If I can alert them to the problem, they've always been
more than grateful.    Many times I've been doing something wrong and
another op has let me know that something was amiss, and likewise I was
grateful to them for taking the time out to tell me.

Mike
AA8IA