[RTTY] bizarre exchange

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 11:15:18 PST 2012

There was one station who replied 599 in text, and then a sequence of dash-dot (-.-.  etc) in his exchange.  Wondered if any one else saw that?

Initially I thought I had some UOS or other strangeness but when I ask for a repeat, he came back with the same thing.  Later I got to thinking he was writing out his state in code.  The dash/dot combo worked out to be the state.

Usual problem of a lot of guys without a space after their exchange.  And what seemed to be a lot more “wide” signals than what I remembered in the CQ DX.  But that CW translated into –/. thing has got to be the weirdest exchange I’ve seen in a long time.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie