[RTTY] Take Two RTTY Exchange

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 16:47:03 PST 2012

On 1/15/2012 12:52 PM, Ken Alexander wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I never understood how the decision was made to let hams take their
> calls with them when they move to a different call district.  Was it an
> admission the FCC didn't have resources to administer the re-assigning
> of calls as people moved, or was their a great clamouring from hams to
> be able to do this, for whatever reason?
>
> It's a total mess, especially at times like when you're trying for some
> new grids in California on 6m.  You get a W6 and then find out he lives
> in another state.
>
> 73,
>
> Ken Alexander
> VE3HLS

I have a different take on this. Years ago before the Information Age,
perhaps it made sense to issue calls based on geographic location. Now
days, it matters little. An amateur FCC license is good anywhere in the
FCC's jurisdiction.

AS to people moving, yes, I suspect there was some clamor to retain
calls. I'm a W6 living in California. My suffix is my initials and I'm
very happy with it. It used to be that if I moved to Arizona I was
forced to either sign W6WRT/7 or get another call. Now I don't have to.
To me, that's a good thing.

73, Bill W6WRT