[RTTY] Software question

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Wed Jul 25 20:28:37 PDT 2012

>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:rtty-bounces at contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Kok Chen
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:41 PM
To: RTTY Reflector
Cc: Bill, W6WRT
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Software question

On Jul 25, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> I wonder why some programs such as fldigi are written so they will run
> on almost any operating system, and others such as N1MM Logger will only
run on Windows?

>>>When I started on DXLab, Linux was still a gleam in Linus' eye, and Jobs
had yet to resuscitate Apple. There were no cross-platform tools -- just a
few cross-platform libraries that didn't work very well. Cross-platform
development tools have come a long way since then; were I starting on DXLab
now, it would be platform-independent as a matter of course.

>>>Using an appropriate virtual machine, DXLab can run on Linux or OSX; I
suspect that's also true of N1MM.

       73,

           Dave, AA6YQ