[RTTY] The Case for QYF (was We Need a New Strategy)

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 06:06:17 PDT 2012

Chen has good points below, but there are good counter-points too. I call this style of operating QYF, meaning "answer my CQ on a different frequency and I will work you there".  YF = Your Frequency

1. Chen says not everyone has two receivers. Well, you don't need two receivers, just VFO A and VFO B. Use VFO A on his CQ frequency and call him (and listen for him) on VFO B. This is NOT split - just simplex on VFO B and you can do it even with ancient equipment without dual VFOs. Just turn the knob as needed.

2. Chen worries that you don't know when to stop calling. You stop calling when he works you or you give up. Just like now.

3.  One HUGE advantage to operating QYF is it encourages everyone to find a clear frequency to call the DX instead of piling up on the frequency of the last station. Think about this from the DX point of view - everyone will be spread out instead of a hundred stations on one frequency!  Because you are listening on your own transmit frequency, you are MUCH less likely to QRM another station and vice versa. The way it is now, most stations call blindly because they are not listening on their own frequency. That would change.

4. But perhaps the BIGGEST advantage is that QYF foils the jammers and the Kilocycle Kops. They would have no idea where the DX is actually operating because it changes with every QSO. By the time the jammer finds the QSO frequency, the QSO is over and the DX is on another frequency.  Jamming the DX's CQ frequency is pointless because 99% of the time nobody is listening there and jamming there does not interfere with actual QSOs. When the pile starts to thin out, the DX goes back to the CQ frequency and sends a short CQ CQ QYF QYF de X1XXX K and then he's gone again.

5.  Anything is better than the mess we have now.   :-)

Comments?

73, Bill W6WRT