[RTTY] The Case for QYF (was We Need a New Strategy)

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun May 13 16:11:37 PDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> These jammers - the hardcore ones - basically are sociopaths. Barring them from DXCC would have no effect. They get their kicks from disrupting everyone else. They are similar to contest cheaters. They don't want to win, they want to prevent you from winning. Sick but true.

If that is true, the scheme of the DX coming to your frequency will not work either.

A sociopath would just go up the band giving a bogus 599 to every station that he hears.

RTTY is especially easy to fake, since it neither involves a "fist" nor a voice -- just make up a macro that gives an identical exchange as the DX.  The only way to know is to measure the precise baud rate and the duration the RTTY signal stays on Mark at the start and end of transmission.  And those parameters can also be easily faked by someone who knows what he is doing.

On top of that, a sociopath with a skimmer can easily find where the DX is answering and go QRM that frequency (even with automated software).

The sociopaths who I have met are actually quite smart.  Perhaps ham sociopaths are not as bright; I don't know.

73
Chen, W7AY