[RTTY] B4

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Oct 1 15:53:58 EDT 2012

I only remember getting one "QSO B4" over the weekend. It was an EU
station. I typed "NOT IN MY LOG, TOO BAD". He came right back and worked
me. I did take a minute to sort my log and look to see if I had
mis-copied his call earlier, but I didn't find anything obvious.

There was a reverse instance when a station called me and he was a dupe.
I sent my exchange and he came back "SRI Q B4". I responded with my
normal QSL K0RC CQ and this didn't even break my stride.

My statement of banning QSO B4 from the airwaves might have been a
little harsh, but for a new contester it seems to be a fun "gimmick"
that in the long run can cost him points or multipliers. And I know the
old-timers have kicked this horse to death over the years, but it's
still warm and twitching for the fellows just starting out in digital
contesting.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

On 10/1/2012 2:21 PM, BILL ENGLISH wrote:
> Not being on both logs is not the case all of the time. In fact it is
> the case in a very small percentage of the time.
> I use QSO B4 because out of the many who called me again after working
> me during the weekend, say 50 out of 1400 QSO's. Only 3 actually
> needed dupes. I have a macro QSO B4, NEED DUPE? and another one that
> says NOT IN LOG PLEASE DUPE ME, I used the latter macro once this
> weekend.
> It would have wasted more time attempt to work all those QSO's again.
> I mis-copied one call and I was already in his log, if he would have
> just said QSOB4 I would have moved on a lot quicker and had one less
> dupe in the log. Of course this is a matter of opinion.
>
> 73
>
> Bill K4FX
>
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc at citlink.net> wrote:
>> There seems to be a lot of new calls this weekend. Jot down the call sign
>> where you got the QSO B4 and after the contest, forward a copy of your
>> message to him. The fellow might just be starting out and doesn't know that
>> QSO B4 was banned from the airwaves. It's an opportunity to Elmer someone
>> just getting started.
>>
>> I am seeing a lot of fellows also CQing but not putting a trailing CQ after
>> their call sign. That's my favorite nit pick. When I tune across someone and
>> I only get a call sign, I start reciting "wasted time, wasted time, wasted
>> time..." until they finish calling CQ again.
>>
>> But then if I was REAL serious about this contest, I wouldn't be on the
>> internet writing emails either... "wasted time, wasted time, wasted time..."
>>
>> 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

>> On 9/29/2012 1:28 AM, jim wrote:
>>> Why would anyone  use  B 4
>>>
>>> I am NOT a big contester  and  I only do S&P
>>> I use N1MM    and IF there is a DUPE  the program  lets me know.
>>>
>>> So when I call a station  and he tells me  B4
>>> Yes I am in his log  but HE is NOT in my log
>>> Maybe because I did not log him when we had QSO
>>> Maybe I logged his call incorrect
>>> Or I never printed his report  and he moved on to the next station calling
>>> as some contest stations are in a hurry.
>>> OR many other reasons
>>>
>>> But just the same  I always send my log in  even if I only make a few
>>> QSO's
>>>
>>> So  when I call and you tell me B4   the QSO will not count for you
>>> As there will  be NO match ..
>>>
>>> SO JUST FORGET THE B4 AND WORK ME
>>> Then u will get credit for the QSO.
>>>
>>> Most likely you can work me about as fast as doing the B4   tx.
>>>

>>> from the shack of
>>> WB5AAA