[RTTY] Exchanges

Fabi va2up va2up at live.ca
Tue Oct 2 10:06:22 EDT 2012

Hi Steve and all,
good point there. Been using myself the simple 599 05 05 when S&Ping for the last year or so inspired by other modes contesting where we don't have our callsign trailing the exchange. I felt that a speedy exchange to a running station might be welcome most of the time. As always I think one has to adjust and take into consideration the fact that during a crowded contest such as CQWW when calling a possible 'rare' mult such as yourself a trailing MYCALL is necessary. If I run HP and got a clear shot at the station I'm calling, I will send 599 05 05 otherwise I will add VA2UP at the end on the fly.I think what is happening is that many of the guys out there are copying what they see the stations they consider as an 'example' doing. This is good because it means that we have more and more contesters coming into the mode and wanting to get involved, but also bad as some of the techniques used by guys such as yourself, and many other top rttyers may not be suitable for a more inexperienced op, not quite yet at least. So using the best judgment is still the best way to go, we all know how it's like on our side when we TX but it is far more important to try and put ourselves in the shoes of the RX station. As I always say for fishing: 'You have to THINK like a trout if you want to catch one'.
73 and best wishes in particular to you Steve...

Fabi  va2up
http://sites.google.com/site/va2upcontesting/