[RTTY] Exchanges

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Tue Oct 2 10:28:02 EDT 2012

I don't mind the ultra-brief exchanges on 15 and 10 meters where the noise floor is very low naturally.

What makes me mad are the bit counters who reply when I'm running on 40m or 80m with a single call.  Naturally, I have the AFC on and it's wandering all over the place chasing noise.  And I have to ask for multiple repeats.  Program another macro button (or push it 2 or 3 times) for crissakes.

For me, I was using an exchange of TU 599 05 NY 05 NY AB2ZY.  And yes, that order was deliberate.  My reasoning is that if you're going to repeat part of the exchange because a character may get garbled or go missing, it's just as likely to be the FIGS or LTRS character that's clobbered.  After a while, I dropped my callsign and simply clicked the callsign macro after the exchange macro if I was not 100% sure the other station copied my call correctly.

If everyone used N1MM, you could skip the zone in the exhcnage altogether unless you have one of the few calls in Russia or the Ukraine or wherever that could be in more then one CQ zone.

Al
AB2ZY