[RTTY] Wow - thanks Dr Flowers!

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Thu Dec 26 13:15:03 EST 2013

On Dec 26, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:

> Also, I thought that when the ARRL amended their filing to drop the reference to "unspecified digital modes", that effectively removed Pactor 4 as a permissible mode on amateur band HF if the proposed rule was adopted.  That's not true?

It is "unspecified codes," not "unspecified modes," Al.  (Practically, one implies the other, though. :-).

And I think that you are correct regarding Pactor-4.  Even if "2.8 kHz at unlimited symbol rate" is the new rule, they will still need to disclose enough information so that some amateur who is "well versed in the art" of modem design can decode all messages into clear text.  Until that point in time, I believe that Pactor-4 will still be verboten in the USA.

We'll see if that modem ends up having two variants (codes), one that is documented and can be used on the ham bands, and another that keeps providing privacy to commercial users.

73
Chen, W7AY