[RTTY] Wow - thanks Dr Flowers!

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Thu Dec 26 16:27:33 EST 2013

Hi Chen,
Right you are - P4 is 2400 Hz BW, not 2200 Hz.  So the 2200 of P3 has already
crept up to 2400 Hz.  The data from your URL further also makes my point:

"Special importance was given during the development of PACTOR-4 that this
*could be used without problem on industry standard transceivers with a 2.4 kHz
IF bandwidth ("amateur radio transceiver")*. Due to the adaptive equalizer, the
form of the IF filter curve (as compared against OFDM, PACTOR-3) is non
critical. PACTOR-4 requires only slightly more SNR in order to equalize even
"heavily bent" IF filter curves."

In other words, *it is only 2400 Hz because of today's equipment limitations!*
They tuned it to the typical ham transceiver BW (just like they did PACTOR-3).
THAT is why we need a limit! Ham radios, especially SDR units, will be able to
handle higher BWs - let's get the limit in place NOW.

73
Kai