[RTTY] Wow - thanks Dr Flowers!

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Dec 26 16:56:05 EST 2013

> They tuned it to the typical ham transceiver BW (just like they did
> PACTOR-3). THAT is why we need a limit! Ham radios, especially SDR
> units, will be able to handle higher BWs - let's get the limit in
> place NOW.

Which is all fine and good but *don't* put wideband data on top of the
nearly 60% of amateurs who still use narrow band modes.  If you want
2000, 2200, 2400, or 2800 wide data, put it in the part of the bands
where J2 modes of that bandwidth are already permitted.

The Commission has repeatedly held that separating wideband modes from
narrow band modes is proper:

> We believe that separation of emission types by bandwidth is accepted
> in the amateur service as a reasonable means to minimizeinterference
 > on shared frequencies and bands ...  (pg 12, FCC 06-149, WT Docket
04-140)

Simply eliminate regulation based on the modulation source - limit
occupied bandwidth on those frequencies currently identified as "RTTY,
data" to 500 Hz or less, allow occupied bandwidth of up to 2800 Hz on
those frequencies between 3 and 39 MHz currently identified as "Voice,
image" with an exemption to 6 KHz for A3E (communications quality
double sideband AM) and prohibit spread spectrum or "sounding".  At
that point, amateur radio has maximum flexibility, the opportunity
to innovate and nobody has "lost" any privileges although some
operations might need to move a bit to comply.

After that we can argue about the treatment of "permitted codes"
- what data must be made public and to what extent developers of
new protocols must facilitate monitoring for purposes of self-
regulation.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV