[RTTY] Dash vs space Etc.

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Feb 11 18:29:14 EST 2013

> the only problems I had in this contest and other contests on
> receive were the letters sent instead of numbers (either dashed or
> spaced) I received them fine...and the only time I had to ask for a
> repeat was from the garbled mass of letters that were sent for the
> Serial No. number........and when asked for a repeat...the numbers
> were sent instead of the letters...and it came through fine...again
> either dashed or spaced....so if numbers were sent first (either
> dashed or spaced) I would have saved more time with that rather than
> worrying about if my contact was using a --wait for it---a dash or a
> space in the exchange....

You miss the entire point - *nobody* is sending letters instead of
numbers in their exchanges.  The letters you receive are due to a
receiving error on your end - you missed a FIGS code (due to noise,
fade, QRM, etc.) and your decoder printed the LTRS case rather than
in FIGS case.

There is a slight chance that the other station did not enable USOS
(unshift on space) in his transmit software and thus is not sending
the FIGS character before the numbers - but that is not likely if
you copy the repeats correctly.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV