[RTTY] Dash vs space Etc.

John GW4SKA ska at bartg.org.uk
Mon Feb 11 18:36:25 EST 2013

The letters aren't wrongly sent by some stations and you didn't receive them
fine. They have actually sent some data that you decode as letters, then a
special character that shifts your decoder to numbers, then some more data
which should appear as numbers. One burst of noise at the wrong time and you
miss the shift to numbers and end up printing 599 as TOO.

We send the same data for letters or figures .. it's your decoder that needs
to know which to print.

This all comes from the original system of coding used in mechanical
teleprinters, which didn't have enough keys for all the diferrent characters
in the alphabet. Have a look at the CCITT International Telegraph Alphabet
No 2 and you will see how it works.

All the stuff with shift/control/tab/curse can be avoided. Look at the top
row of your keyboard .. it's an easy conversion from letters to numbers. If
you print TUO. look up and left from each of those letters and you have 579.
You soon learn them. If you need to get a serial number or RST in the right
place, just click in that box and type in the number manually. It's often
easier than chasing garbage with the mouse then trying to convert it.

As for being a 'real' RTTY op ... you are probably way ahead of some on this
list .. at least you ask for advice!

John GW4SKA