[RTTY] US call signs (BARTG)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jan 8 11:47:41 EST 2013

Phil,

Make it simple ... instead of only a serial number include the
multiplier in the exchange.  That way if you were GU0SUP on
the mainland your exchange would include G ... if I were to
operate portable from my mother's home in W8 my exchange would
include W8 (or K8, etc.).

The alternative is to use the WAE rules as someone else suggested
but that doesn't handle KH2D or KH7XS (in W4), NP2D (in W2),
KV4FZ (in KP2), K9FD (in  KH6!) etc.

The US *regulations* are simple - there are no more call areas
for any purpose except the *initial* assignment of callsigns.  Any
*requirement* by a contest sponsor that we use a self-assigned
modifier (portable designator) *is contrary to our regulations*
- yes we may voluntarily use such "self assigned identifiers"
after the callsign but there *is no regulatory requirement* to
do so.  If the sponsor wishes *every station* to attach his
multiplier status to the callsign, e.g. GU0SUP/GU0 - that's
fine but don't require *only* one group of US stations to do so.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV