[RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Tue Jan 8 19:54:21 EST 2013

From: RTTY [rtty-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV [lists at subich.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:47 PM
To: rtty at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals
.

All in all it's easier to generate a garbage signal with AFSK than
with a properly configured FSK transmitter even though the AFSK
signal may be marginally better if everything is optimum.

Which was basically my point.  Discounting analog FSK implementations from 30 years ago, there is nothing you, Joe Ham,  can do should it be proved that, yes indeed, your 2 year old DSP transceiver is splattering when modulated using FSK.  There are no user accessible adjustments and with the few DSP designs I've looked at there are no internal hardware adjustments either so you can probably safely attribute the problem in that case to bad design.  Which has no cure except to buy a different model radio.

A ham running AFSK owns a lot more responsibility for the cleanliness of his signal than one running FSK in the sense that AFSK performance is more dependent on user configuration.

Al
AB2ZY