[RTTY] US call areas in contests

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Jan 9 12:05:22 EST 2013

Hi all,

Paul N8HM wrote:
"All those contests use US Call Areas as mults, but they don't require
stations to add their correct call area as a suffix.  BARTG is unique in
that outdated requirement."

I'm not sure this is true!
The only one in the list I quoted that is different is the WAEDC, where I
missed this:
"Exception: In the following countries up to ten numerical call areas count
as multipliers:
W, VE, VK, ZL, ZS, JA, PY and RA8/RA9 and RAØ -- without respect to their
geographical location."

So, OK, WAEDC does not need you to sign /x or anything, but the EA and JARTS
don't specifically say they do NOT require you to do this.
In fact, JARTS does mention "portable designator" in the mults, so maybe
they do require it.
As Goetz DJ3IW kindly pointed out, the DL-DX and DRCG LDC do require you to
do this.

I was never saying it MUST be adhered to, only presenting a different view
of the arguments being put forward on this reflector.
Nor was I offering a solution to the problem, as I don't run any contests,
but one way forward would be to adopt a similar approach to that of WAEDC,
where the mults count, irrespective of geographical location.

BUT, until something changes, those are the rules, and you either play by
them, or risk being disqualified for not adhering to them.

Maybe some of you that are so unhappy about the rule ought to email the
contest sponsors and see whether they are willing to change things? I can't.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP