[RTTY] RTTY spectrum analysis article

aflowers at frontiernet.net aflowers at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 10 23:33:13 EST 2013

Coincidentally, the audio files in the article are
almost perfectly representative of an S2 signal and a S9+20 signal 400 Hz away
(which would be 62db with 6db per S unit). I'm measuring the gap between the
signals, not mark-to-mark, but that's probably irrelevant for the purpose of
discussion. There is a test case right there if anyone wants to see if AGC
matters to their software. The files are in "MMV" format so that
someone can just decode them in MMTTY with the playback function. You can try
various profiles and see if you get either or both of them to decode. If you
want to use other software (or a modem) you can just rename the extensions to
".wav" and play them from one computer to another (or into your
modem) just as if it were coming from your radio. That might be an interesting
experiment for the curious.  I didn't do any comprehensive testing of demodulators since that wasn't my aim.
Jim, I think the ST-8000 has a dynamic
range of around 80dB (I'm sure someone will correct me), so it should have the dynamic range with some room to
spare. You could play those files into the ST8000 and see what happens.
Andy K0SM/2

Message: 1