[RTTY] [MMTTY] Re: Wideband Digital (was: BoD votes LoTW initiatives)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jul 24 14:26:28 EDT 2013

> So, today, the current rules already permit digital signals as wide
> as (1.2*300 + 1000) = 1360 Hz. (It works out to 2400 Hz in the 10 m
> band today).

your constant of 1.2 is not accurate for all modulations/protocols but
it is useful for discussion.

In any case, 1360 Hz is *already* too wide for reasonable sharing with
modes like traditional RTTY, PSK31, JT65, JT9, and even the narrow
versions of MFSK, OLIVIA, etc. - particularly when that 1360 Hz "mask"
is employed by an automatically controlled station answering a locally
controlled station.  Just a single 1360 KHz "noise" will wipe out the
entire JT9 activity center, 65% of the JT65 activity, 65% of the
PSK31/63 activity, etc. and wipe out an entire RTTY pile-up.

Not only will an automatic responder wipe out a significant amount of
other activity, it will persist in doing so until it "gets *its*
message through or it times out sine there is no "listen before
transmitting" protocol and no intelligent monitoring.  This makes
2.8 KHz wide "data" exponentially more damaging than any *reasonable*
bandwidth data mode.

If 2.8 KHz wide data is to be permitted, it should be placed with
other wide band modes (e.g. the "phone" bands) or restricted to
narrow segments of the spectrum (e.g., 7110-7125, 14,125-14,150,
21,150-21,175 and 28,200-28,300) where the wide band data mask will
not cause harmful interference to users of narrow band modes and
emissions.   2.8 KHz data certainly has *no place* on 80, 30, 17
and 12 meters where spectrum for narrow band modes is already
"fully utilized" - perhaps over utilized.

Activities like WinLink and other wideband, semiautomatic modes can
be accommodated without the right to run roughshod over narrow band
users.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV