[RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Fri Jul 26 14:51:13 EDT 2013

On Jul 26, 2013, at 11:44 AM, John Becker wrote:

> I really did not think it would say anything about that otherwise APRS would also
> be a taboo subject.

There is a huge difference.

You'd originally mentioned private messages to friends and relatives.  APRS is for public consumption.  Anyone can read your position -- as the amateur service should be.

If you simply send out pings on the position of your boat, that is one thing.  Sending private emails to friends and relatives is a different bag of worms.

And if you use Pactor III to send the messages, there is even an arguable issue concerning the transmission of encrypted (or protected) messages over amateur bands outside of an emergency.

73
Chen, W7AY