[RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Fri Jul 26 15:25:12 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Kok Chen <chen at mac.com> wrote:

> And if you use Pactor III to send the messages, there is even an arguable issue concerning the transmission of encrypted (or protected) messages over amateur bands outside of an emergency.

Despite the watering down that has occurred over the years, 97.113
prohibits encryption in any circumstance except telecommand of a
station in space operation.  No exception for emergencies, nor should
there be.

We shouldn't get sidetracked, though.  The issue at hand is excessive
bandwidth in the narrow-band portions of the FCC allocations.  We need
to fix the automatic station stuff and we need to fix the proprietary
encoding problem (D-STAR, PACTOR, etc), but this isn't the time.