[RTTY] Clipped calls

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Mon Nov 11 15:39:41 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM, <peter.jackson17 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

Its on incoming calls  ie: KNU (sometimes &KNU) 599 001 001 G3KNU.
> My concern if they leave my call of the end I am not sure if they have my
> call sign correct.
> 73 Pete G3KNU or &KNU

My gentle suggestion is to not overly worry whether the other guy has your
call sign correct. Here is something I recently wrote:

... how do I know that the other guy has my call correct? It depends. For
instance, if I’m running and I print W6RX 599 003 003, I probably won’t try
to “correct” him. I send my call twice when I CQ and at least once every
contact, so the other guy has had ample opportunity to get my call right. I
assume that he sent my call correctly and it took a hit. Additionally, by
sending 599 003 003 or TU 599 003 with or without my call, he is QSLing my
call and exchange—he’s saying I have it, I have all I need. If he’s not
sure of my call, he needs to ask for it. Contesting is a two-way street,
and both operators have responsibility to get it right. But, it depends. If
I print W6RX 599 003 003 W6RX, I’ll correct the other station.

end quote

Contest Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX