[RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Nov 24 23:00:16 EST 2013

On Nov 24, 2013, at 7:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

> A stronger argument is that no increase in bandwidth should be permitted until the issue of  QRM from automatic stations has been
> resolved.

I agree.

But we need to settle on what "increase" means.  What is the baseline of the increase?

If you use 1000 Hz FSK shift at 300 baud, that comes up to a bandwidth around 1250 Hz (I guess you can use the ITU formula to get an ITU approved bandwidth number that the FCC probably won't argue with).  So this is the allowed bandwidth based on existing rules for an FSK signal.

If you use Pactor 3 as the the gating item, then with all 18 tones active, Pactor 3 uses 2200 Hz.  This is the bandwidth based on currently allowed equipment.

So, which is it?  I think it is somewhere between those to numbers.

73
Chen, W7AY