[RTTY] Need to lawyer up for 60 meters

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Mon Nov 25 14:15:16 EST 2013

That information is badly outdated. The FCC and NTIA have since interpreted it
far more leniently.

For Amateur-RTTY, see the Technical Correspondence, QST, Sept 2013 for an
example of how
to use Amateur RTTY on the 60 m channels.

Pretty much ANY amateur digital mode used in ham radio is permitted, as long as:
(1) the transmission is centered in the channel
(2) fits entirely in the 2800 Hz channel BW
(3) you also monitor the channel in upper SSB for possible gov't call.

The term "RTTY" means direct teleprinter communications by radio. Basically, my
keyboard to
your screen. Only in a very narrow facet of ham radio does it specifically refer
to 170 Hz shift
45.45 baud Baudot code radio communications (some of use call that Amateur-RTTY,
or affectionately "Steam-RTTY").
"RTTY" includes PSK modes, JT-65, JT-9, Amateur RTTY, and a long list of
others,... always has.

73
Kai, KE4PT